Week 4 – 10.26.16
Welcome to the fourth and final week of National Cyber Security Awareness Month. For this week we focus on securing your mobile devices.
Please help secure your mobile devices by:
- Confirming that you observe the following best practices:
- Enable a screen lock with a strong, unique passcode
- Have the latest operating system update applied
- Install and regularly update antivirus software
- Download applications only from trusted sites
- Maintain privacy by limiting location tracking and reviewing other information-sharing settings
- Reading a newsletter explaining how to safely dispose of used mobile devices
- Reading a newsletter with information on securing a new tablet
- Reviewing the CUNY Data Protection for Mobile Devices Advisory
CUNY is participating in the National Cyber Security Awareness Month program run by the National Cyber Security Alliance (NCSA) to create awareness about cybersecurity. Each week in October, we will provide information and tips on protecting yourself at work and at home. Our goal is to help you make the most of today’s technology…safely and securely.
Our weekly themes are as follows:
Week 1 – Cybersecurity in the workplace
Week 2 – Cybersecurity in the home
Week 3 – Cybercrime
Week 4 – Securing mobile devices
Remember that CUNY also provides an online security awareness course (please provide the registration information requested) that is catered to CUNY students, faculty and staff and a growing security resources list on the CUNY Information Security pages. You may also want to subscribe to OUCH! — the world’s leading, free security awareness newsletter designed for technology users.
Welcome to the first week of National Cyber Security Awareness Month. For this week we are focusing on how to secure yourself at work to make it safer for you and your colleagues.
Please help make your work environment more secure by:
- Reviewing a poster explaining why you are a target, identifying all the different ways cyber criminals can make money from hacking you.
- Viewing a short security awareness video (4:06 minutes) on targeted attacks
You may also want to visit and bookmark a site where you can learn more about protecting yourself online with daily security awareness tips.
Welcome to the second week of National Cyber Security Awareness Month. For this week we are focusing on how to secure yourself at home to make it safer for you and those you live with. Making sure your home environment is secure also helps secure your work environment.
Please help make your home environment more secure by:
- Reading a security awareness newsletter on protecting your home network.
- Reviewing a poster on protecting your home.
- Viewing a video (12 minutes) on the top three risks to kids online today and what you can do about those risks.
- Sharing these materials with others, including your family, friends and neighbors.
Welcome to the third week of National Cyber Security Awareness Month. For this week we focus on cyber criminals. Specifically, how they attack people and what you can do to stop them.
Please help protect yourself against cyber criminals by:
- Reading a security awareness newsletter on ransomware. This has become a very common and highly successful attack technique used by cyber criminals around the world.
- Reviewing a poster on how you can identify and stop phishing attacks, one of the most common attack methods used by cyber criminals today.
- Reviewing the CUNY Issued Security Advisory on ransomware.
*National Cyber Security Alliance (NCSA) content is copyrighted and reproduced under the Creative Commons BY-NC-ND 4.0 license.