What is the difference between Microsoft Office 365 for Education and Microsoft Office 365 Office ProPlus?
CUNY licenses Microsoft Office 365 for Education, which includes the ability to install the Office 2016 applications (such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and OneNote) through Office ProPlus. CUNY has now extended faculty and staff licensing to include the following Microsoft Office 365 for Education online applications and services:
- OneDrive for Business
- Skype for Business
What is OneDrive for Business?
OneDrive for Business is an online storage space in the cloud. You can use it to store your files across multiple devices, share your files with colleagues and students, and edit documents together in real time. OneDrive for Business is similar to other cloud storage options such as Dropbox and Google Drive, but is the only cloud storage solution currently licensed by the University. Other solutions are also being considered.
What are the benefits to using Microsoft Office 365 for Education?
The benefits to using Microsoft Office 365 for Education include the following:
- Access to work files when not at your workstation’s desktop computer
- Integrated resources for faculty working at multiple colleges with access through your CUNY Login credentials
- File sharing and new communication channels to facilitate collaboration with colleagues within and outside CUNY
- File storage of 1 TB provided
- Free license as long as you are an employee of CUNY
How do I get Microsoft Office 365 for Education?
Active faculty and staff “access” these cloud services directly from a web browser or from an application that is downloaded and installed. Note that Skype for Business is not available within a web browser and must be downloaded and installed.
You can access Microsoft Office 365 for Education applications through various channels:
- Clicking on the Microsoft Office 365 for Education icon on the Technology Service page for faculty or for staff
- www.cuny.edu/office365ed (the web page devoted to Microsoft Office 365 for Faculty and Staff, which provides links to Microsoft video tutorials on setting up and using the applications as well as FAQs)
All these channels will take you to the CUNY Web Applications Login page, where you will be prompted to enter your CUNY Login username (email@example.com format) and password to log in to the Microsoft Office Online page. Once logged in, you can choose the Microsoft Office 365 for Education application or service to use.
What does it mean to be an ‘active’ employee?
Being an “active employee” means you are in active pay status at CUNY, which includes individuals on paid leave, FMLA leave, military leave, or other special leave. It also includes those on Research Foundation payroll who are Persons of Interest in CUNYfirst. Please consult with your Human Resources Department if you have a question about your active pay status.
Can I use the portable Microsoft Office 365 for Education applications on my cell phone or tablet?
Only download and install genuine Microsoft mobile applications for use with Office 365 for Education.
To get the mobile applications directly from Microsoft, follow the links below:
Do I have access to the full suite of Microsoft Office 365 for Education applications?
Active CUNY faculty and staff have access to all Office 365 for Education applications and services with the exception of Office 365 Email and those applications or services (or specific features within them) that require Office 365 Email. Microsoft does not currently offer the ability to use existing, non-cloud based Exchange accounts with these other products/offerings.
How does not having Office 365 Email affect my use of Microsoft Office 365 for Education?
Some Microsoft Office 365 for Education applications and services are not available due to their dependency on Office 365 Email “in the cloud.” Additionally, some features of specific application or services may not be available or may be limited.
Without Office 365 email, the CUNY Login username becomes the default for users’ email addresses for Microsoft Office 365 for Education collaboration, sharing and synching operations. Because the CUNY Login username is not a valid email address, we recommend that you always type in a valid University email address for Microsoft Office 365 for Education collaboration and sharing operations. This will ensure that Microsoft Office 365 for Education notifications will be sent and received for the users involved.
Can I use Microsoft Office 365 for Education for personal as well as business use?
CUNY has licensed Microsoft Office 365 for Education for business and personal uses. However, we do not recommend storing personal files or information in your Office 365 account. Data present in your account may be subject to open records requests. Please see the Acceptable Use of Microsoft 365 for Education guidelines for more information
What data can I store and share in Microsoft Office 365 for Education?
The Acceptable Use of Microsoft 365 for Education policy governs what data can be stored and shared so data is protected from misuse or unauthorized access. The policy provides the following:
- Confidential information should not be stored and shared in Office 365 unless the specific use has been reviewed and approved by the University’s Chief Information Security Officer or the college Chief Information Officer, in consultation with relevant offices possessing expertise on the type of data involved, including the Provost. Confidential information includes personally identifiable information (e.g., social security number, date of birth, mother’s maiden name, driver’s license number) and data such as student educational records protected by the Federal Educational Rights and Privacy Act.
- Sensitive data may be stored and shared in Office 365 but should be done in a secure manner consistent with the policy. Sensitive data includes the following information that have not been specifically approved for public release: email and other communications regarding internal matters; proprietary financial, budgetary or personnel information; and identifies of donors or other third-party partner information.
- Public data may be stored and shared in Office 365 and includes all other types of information.
Who do I contact if I am uncertain whether particular data should/should not be available through Microsoft Office 365 for Education?
CUNY’s Acceptable Use of Microsoft 365 for Education policy provides guidance on the question. Other CUNY Information Technology, Information Security, and University-wide policies and guidelines may also be applicable.
If additional clarification is still necessary, please file a ticket with your campus help desk to seek clarification from the data owner, your Chief Information Officer or Information Security Manager, or with CUNY CIS in the Central Office.
What are some best practices for sharing Public Data through Microsoft Office 365 for Education?
- Use folders to share groups of files with others online.
- Share files with specific individuals, never with “everyone” or the “public.”
- Be careful when sending links to shared folders because they can be forwarded to others to whom you did not intend to provide access.
- Remember that once a file or information is shared, the recipient can download it to a device and share it with others.
- Remove individuals when they no longer require access to files or folders
How do I get support for Microsoft Office 365 for Education?
Support and instructions on using the Microsoft Office 365 for Education applications and services is available from the Microsoft Office support site at support.office.com. CUNY also provides links to some helpful Microsoft videos on the Video Tutorials page on www.cuny.edu/office365ed
If you are having difficulty using your CUNY Login credentials to access the Microsoft Office Online site, please contact your campus help desk.
If I accidentally delete a file in OneDrive or SharePoint, can I recover it?
If you accidentally delete a file or folder, however, you may be able to recover it from the recycle bin.
Restoring items in the Recycle Bin in OneDrive: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/restore-deleted-files-or-folders-in-onedrive-949ada80-0026-4db3-a953-c99083e6a84f?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US
Restoring items in the Recycle Bin of a SharePoint site https://support.office.com/en-us/article/restore-items-in-the-recycle-bin-of-a-sharepoint-site-6df466b6-55f2-4898-8d6e-c0dff851a0be?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US
Are my files stored in Office 365 backed up?
Microsoft does not perform traditional backups of data stored in Office 365. CUNY’s Acceptable Use of Microsoft 365 for Education policy recommends that users back up any valuable data you store in Office 365 so that Office 365 is not the sole repository of the data.
Why do I see “Buy Office 365” on certain Office 365 pages?
This button is built into some Microsoft Office 365 for Education pages, such as training and support pages. CUNY faculty and staff are provided a license for free through CUNY so there is no need to purchase the license.
What happens to my Microsoft Office 365 for Education content if I am no longer a University employee?
Access to Microsoft Office 365 for Education applications and online services is tied to your active employment at CUNY, and your access to these applications and services will remain available as long as you still have access to CUNYfirst.
How do I save files from MS Office applications running on my work computer to Microsoft Office 365 for Education?
By using OneDrive for Business or SharePoint online, either through the web interface or by creating a new “Save as Place” within your office applications.
To add OneDrive for Business and SharePoint online to your Office applications:
- Open up Word or other Office applications.
- Create a new document.
- Select File and then Save as.
- Select Add Place.
- Select Office 365 SharePoint (you must select the SharePoint option as the OneDrive option shown is ONLY for the personal version and OneDrive for Business is a feature of SharePoint).
- Enter your CUNY Login username in response to the Add a service prompt.
- Enter your CUNY Login username and password if prompted.
Now you will see both SharePoint and OneDrive for Business as locations you can save documents in ALL your Microsoft Office Applications.
How can I tell the difference between my personal OneDrive cloud storage and OneDrive for Business?
Your OneDrive for Business cloud storage is labeled as OneDrive – CUNY. Your CUNY Login username appears beneath OneDrive – CUNY to help differentiate it from your personal OneDrive cloud storage.
For more information please see:
Can I save to OneDrive for Business from within my desktop Microsoft Office applications?
Yes. Once you are logged into OneDrive for Business, you can access your cloud storage files using the OneDrive – CUNY location.
What is the best way to move content from my personal cloud storage to OneDrive for Business?
How do I share OneDrive for Business files with others?
Why don’t I see a Skype for Business icon when I log into Microsoft Office 365 for Education?
Skype for Business does not appear as an icon within the Office 365 service page. It is a downloadable application for computers and mobile devices. You can download and install iOS and Android versions of the Microsoft Office 365 for Education applications from Microsoft the Apple App Store (Apple iOS) and Google Play (Android).
Only download and install Microsoft Mobile Applications.
To get the Skype for Business application directly from Microsoft, follow the link below:
What are Skype for Business limitations without Office 365 Email?
You will not be able to create Skype for Business meetings through Outlook, Outlook Web App, or otherwise without Office 365 Email.
Where can I find more help and training on Skype for Business?
More help and training on Skype for Business is available at https://support.office.com
How is this Office 365 SharePoint offering different from the SharePoint installation I currently use?
This Office 365 for Education SharePoint offering is in the cloud and is separate from your local SharePoint installation that your college may have provided or that you might be using.
What are SharePoint limitations without Office 365 Email?
You will not be able to receive alerts or other notifications without Office 365 Email.
Where can I find more help and training on SharePoint?
More help and training on SharePoint is available at https://support.office.com