The City University of New York has long been recognized as one of the most diverse university systems in the nation. The University aims to enhance its national standing by continuing to build a diverse community that enriches its academic environment.
Diversity Mission at CUNY
The University’s unwavering commitment to serving students, its insistence on academic rigor, and its support of world-class faculty guide its work to foster and promote an ever more diverse community of students, faculty, and staff. This pluralistic community is fundamental to the exchange of ideas and knowledge, scholarly discourse, and the engagement of the University’s constituencies.
Benefits of Diversity and Inclusion
Exposing CUNY students to faculty and staff from diverse backgrounds with a range of ideas and perspectives is necessary if we are to adequately educate students in an increasingly complex world.
- College faculty should reflect the growing diversity of student populations.
- Exposing students to a faculty from diverse backgrounds and a diversity of ideas and perspectives is necessary for adequately educating students in an increasingly diverse society and complex world.
- If higher education institutions are not helping students navigate, engage, and embrace diversity on campus, it can lead to negative and oppressive experiences for students (Tate 2017).
- Finally diverse faculties play an important role in recruiting and retaining a diverse student body as well as a diverse professoriate (Alger and Carrasco 1997).
ORD continues to play a lead role in the articulation, promotion, and support of CUNY’s core mission and values. Recognizing that aligning diversity, equity and inclusion with the University’s Strategic Framework mission requires an intentional plan of implementation that is infused with new modes of thought and bold initiatives. How we manage the new challenges and opportunities engendered is reflected in OHRM’s vision and strategic planning process, and this continues to undergird our collective mission.
The Office of Human Resources Management strives to provide strategic, consultative and effective human resources services that promote organizational success and excellence, respond to the existing and emerging needs of the workforce, and inspire individual achievement in people, allowing them to actively contribute to and have a positive impact on the institution.
The University’s commitment to diversity is posited on the following principles:
- Engendering values and implementing policies that enhance respect for individuals and their cultures promotes excellence and an inclusive educational experience;
- Diversifying the University’s workforce strengthens the institution, encourages the exchange of new ideas, and enriches campus life;
- Cultivating diversity and combatting bigotry are an inextricable part of the educational mission of the University; and
- Fostering tolerance, sensitivity, and mutual respect throughout CUNY is beneficial to all members of the University community.