Undergraduate and graduate matriculants registered in one College of the University may take courses in another College of the University, if credits taken are included in degree requirements.

A. Definitions

Home College is the college at which the student is enrolled.

Host College is the college at which the student takes a course(s) and receives instruction.

B. General Permitting Process and Rules

The following process and rules apply for permits, with the exception of study abroad and study at the Law School, as outlined below:

  • All tuition and student activity fees are payable to the Home College.
  • Payment to the Home College will be made in accordance with the due date indicated on bill or payment schedule established by the Home College.
  • Tuition and fee payments to the Host College are not required.
  • The FTEs are counted by the Host College.

C. Permitting for Study Abroad Programs

  • When a student from a Home Colleges registers at a Host College in order to participate in a study abroad program sponsored by the Host College, tuition and student activity fees remain payable to the Home College.
  • These funds shall be forwarded to the Host College in the event that the Host College, in turn, passes these funds on to the overseas institution or other co-sponsor of the student’s Study Abroad Program. Students should use a CUNY Permit Form in order to obtain the necessary advance academic and financial approvals.
  • Further information regarding Study Abroad Programs can be found in the “Specific Programs and Special Situations” of the Tuition and Fee Manual.
  • The winter intersession must be handled differently. Winter intersession is not part of the fall or spring semester, so a student must pay for all credits during a study abroad intersession to the Host College. The Host College will then transmit the tuition to the overseas institution.
  • The Home College is not involved in the tuition payment process for intersession.
  • If the Home College and the Host College are the same institution, the student must pay separate tuition for the winter intersession and the spring semester.
  • Students should consult with their financial aid counselors to determine if any additional aid is warranted.

D. Permitting for CUNY Law School

  • The Law School will identify specific courses that may be taken on a permit basis.
  • The Law School Registrar will maintain a list of such permitted courses.
  • Only graduate students are permitted to take Law School courses.
  • Students will be treated in the following manner for tuition purposes.
    • Doctoral students who are full-time will pay no additional tuition at the Law School.
    • Part-time doctoral students will be assessed the Law School’s per credit rate for the additional credits.
    • Masters students who are full-time will be assessed the Law School’s per credit tuition rate for any credits above 12 credits.
    • Part-time Masters students be assessed the Law School’s per credit rate for Law School credits.
  • Any permit tuition will be collected by the Law School and deposited in the CUCF.
  • Permit students will not be assessed the Law School’s material fee.

E. Permitting for School of Professional Studies (SPS)

SPS will invoice each college for permit tuition revenue for the tuition revenue generated by permit enrollments. The University Budget Office will coordinate the transfer of permit tuition revenue from the Home College to SPS. Invoices will be sent to and approved by the College.

F. Payment Processing

  • If permitting at a Host College results in higher tuition than paid at the Home College, the student will pay the additional tuition to the Home College.
  • Undergraduate students may not pay more than the maximum undergraduate tuition.
  • Undergraduate and graduate students attending colleges outside of the City University should not pay tuition or fees to the Home College during the period of nonattendance. A readmission fee should be charged after one or more semesters (exclusive of summer session) absence.
  • Student should use a Non-CUNY Permit so that the necessary academic and financial approvals are obtained in advance.

G. Students Enrolled at LaGuardia Community College, Kingsborough Community College, and The New College at CUNY

Any students enrolled at LaGuardia Community College, Kingsborough Community College, and Guttman Community College, which have a non-traditional semester structure (Fall 1, Fall 2 and Spring 1, Spring 2), will also pay their tuition at the home college.

  • No permitting will be allowed during Fall 2 and Spring 2 semesters.
  • Students may register at the “host” college as non-degree students and pay the “host” colleges tuition and fees.
  • Permit courses taken during the Fall 1 and Spring 1 semesters will, however, count toward full-time status and be billed accordingly, i.e., until 12 credits (full-time) is attained, all credits will be billed at the part-time credit rate.
  • Once an “in-city resident” rate student has reached 12 credits in the Fall 1 or Spring 1 semesters, there is no charge for additional credits that semester.

H. Registration at Non-CUNY Colleges

  • Students must complete a Non-CUNY Permit Form to register at a non-CUNY institution. The form assures the student that the courses to be taken at the non-CUNY institution will be accepted for credit at a CUNY College. The student’s financial aid will be determined based upon the total of CUNY and non-CUNY institution credits. It is the student’s responsibility to have his/her credits transferred to a CUNY College.