CUNY Libraries’ Statement on Diversity and Inclusion
In this extraordinary mosaic of cultures that is CUNY, the Libraries will always uphold the fundamental values of respect, equity, intellectual freedom, access to knowledge, and service to all.
We promote equal and fair treatment under the law for everyone, regardless of ethnicity, race, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, political viewpoint, socioeconomic background, or religious belief.
Supporting and embracing diversity and inclusion is central to our mission, and core to our professional ethos and our democracy. We will continue to embody, defend, and promulgate these shared values in our own codes of conduct.
We accomplish this by:
- Respectfully supporting CUNY students, faculty, and staff
- Empowering our communities to critically evaluate and apply information based on the tenets of information literacy
- Protecting patron privacy
- Advocating for inalienable rights for all
- Providing a refuge and forum for civil discourse, exchange of ideas, learning, and empowerment
- Being vigilant
CUNY Libraries have long advocated for the success and empowerment of our communities, so we are poised as ever to support CUNY’s honored mission in these challenging times.
Interim Dean of Libraries and Information Systems
November 16, 2016
Endorsed by CUNY Council of Chief Librarians
December 12, 2016