2015 Photo Challenge Winner

Students Pick Hunter College junior’s NYC skyline as the Year’s Best. Mauricio Vallejo.

ePermit facilitates the process of CUNY students obtaining permission to register for courses offered at other CUNY colleges. Prior to taking courses at another institution a student should inquire at the Host College for registration dates and procedures governing visiting CUNY students on ePermit.  To see the class schedule at all colleges please visit the Global Class Search.

Please note that an ePermit does not automatically register a student for a course nor does issuance of an ePermit guarantee enrollment at the Host College. Once you have enrolled at the Host College, cancellation of an ePermit does not delete your course registration; see details below regarding student responsibilities.

For the official CUNY policy on ePermit, please click the link below:

Official CUNY ePermit Policy.

Who is eligible to use the ePermit approval request system?

  • A matriculated student currently in attendance at a CUNY college (Home college);
  • Undergraduate students with a minimum cumulative GPA of at least 2.00;
  • Graduate students with a minimum cumulative GPA of at least 3.00;
  • A student cannot have any holds on his/her record;
  • A student must meet all Home college registration requirements, such as completed immunization;
  • Newly admitted and continuing Macaulay Honors College and CUNY BA students with advisor approval.

ePermit requests will not be issued to:

  • A non-degree student

Important information and policies for filing an ePermit approval request:

Once a permit is approved:

A student granted approval to take courses on permit will be contacted via e-mail by the Host college with a registration appointment time. Note that an ePermit approval only grants permission to take a course at another CUNY college and does not enroll a student or guarantee a seat in a course. Normal registration procedures should then be followed by the student as indicated by the Host institution.

Permit term:

The system is set to allow requests to take courses on permit for a specific semester. If more than one semester appears, e.g. summer and fall, select the semester or term for which you wish to enroll for the permit course.

Permit course:

Each permit request is for a single course equivalent. Thus, a student needs to complete a permit request for each equivalent course he/she would like to take at another CUNY college. Courses taken on permit must meet a specific degree requirement.

Course grade:

Courses will be transferred to the Home college and recorded with the grade assigned by the Host college and included in the combined GPA. The number of credits transferred for each course will be the value assigned by the Host college and not the Home college. (e.g., ENGL 178 is 4 credits at Home College, an equivalent course taken on permit is 3 credits at the host college; upon transfer the student is awarded 3 credits on their Home College transcript with the host college’s name duly noted.)

Permit cancellation:

A student may cancel his/her e-permit request at any time prior to registering at the Host college.

Course cancellation:

If a student enrolls in a course at the selected Host college and decides not to attend the course, it is the student’s responsibility to cancel the course registration at both the home and host campuses as well as the ePermit request. The student must notify his/her Home college of the cancellation before classes begin to avoid a tuition liability and to prevent any academic consequences. ePermit course cancellation adheres to the CUNY refund policy dates and deadlines published in the academic calendar.

Financial aid:

It is the student’s responsibility to make certain that his/her total credits meet financial aid eligibility and credit load requirements. Students should meet with an academic advisor at his/her Home college with any course related questions. Questions concerning financial aid can be addressed by a financial aid counselor at the Home college.


Tuition is charged and paid at a student’s Home college. Students eligible for financial aid are to apply through their Home college and are responsible for meeting any credit load requirements. Tuition is calculated based on the Host college credits. Courses for which material fees are applied are paid by the student to the Host college.

ePermit and courses in residence:

A student must obtain approval in advance to take courses at another college if they are to be credited toward their degree requirements. Students are reminded that they must complete a minimum of credits through courses taken at their Home institution, including a minimum of the major courses, to satisfy the courses in residence requirement to be eligible for graduation. Refer to your Home college catalog for the minimum credits required to be taken in residence.