Fire Safety Tips
- Never use an extension cord with large current appliances such as a space heater, air conditioner or refrigerator. Extension cords can cause home fires by overheating due to overloading the outlet.
- Never smoke while lying down, especially if drowsy, medicated or have been drinking. Completely douse cigarette butts with water before discarding. Smokers are seven times more likely than nonsmokers to have a fire in their home.
- Stay in the kitchen while cooking and wear short or tight fitting sleeves. Unattended cooking accounts for thirty-three percent of home fires.
- Installing and maintaining a smoke alarm will reduce your chances of dying in a fire in half. Install alarms on every floor and in bedrooms for extra protection. Seventy percent of fire deaths occur in homes with an inoperable smoke alarm or no smoke alarm present. The majority of the deaths are children and older adults.
- Plan and practice a fire escape plan.Do not attempt to fight the fire yourself. Get out and CLOSE THE DOOR. Call 911 from a safe location. Smoke and fire kills! You may have less than three minutes to get to safety.
- Never leave burning candles unattended. Half of the people killed by candle fires in the home were younger than 20 years of age.