Admission to Undergraduate Programs

If you have completed secondary school either in Mexico or the U.S., you can apply for admission to an associate’s or baccalaureate program as a freshman or a transfer student:

  • Freshman students are those who never attended a post-secondary school.
  • Transfer students are those who have attended a school after the completion of secondary school either in Mexico or the U.S.

There are two different freshman applications at CUNY.

Freshman Applicants

I. General Admission

To apply to CUNY as an Undergraduate Student, visit

Secondary School Records

If you have graduated from a high school in the U.S. within the past year and are applying to a senior college (four-year college) you must submit SAT or ACT scores. Please note: all applicants to The CUNY Honors College and The Teacher Academy must submit SAT or ACT scores.

If you graduated from a secondary school in Mexico, you must submit a copy of your transcript that indicates receipt of the “bachillerato” diploma. You must enclose a copy of the actual “”bachillerato”” diploma along with a literal translation of the transcript, prepared by an authorized translation service.

Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) scores.

The TOEFL is used by colleges in the U.S. to evaluate the English language skills of those who were educated abroad. All applicants who have been educated in a non-English speaking country are required to take the TOEFL and submit their scores along with their application.

If you have attended a secondary school in both the U.S. and in Mexico, you must submit official records from all schools.

II. The Macaulay Honors College of The City University of New York

CUNY invites high-achieving high school students to apply to the CUNY Honors College, a program that is available at seven CUNY campuses: Baruch, Brooklyn, City, College of Staten Island, Hunter, Lehman and Queens. CUNY Honors College students are eligible for stipends, tuition and “cultural passports” and benefit from special seminars and activities as well as study abroad opportunities. You may now apply to six of the seven Macaulay Honors College’s by visiting

Transfer Applicants

If you submit the transfer application, you must do the following:

  • Submit secondary school records
  • Contact all post-secondary schools that you have attended, and request that they send your transcript directly to the University Application Processing Center (UAPC). (Address appears on the transfer application.)
  • If your post-secondary transcripts are not in English, you must obtain an official translation. If you do not have a copy of your transcript, ask your school to send you a student copy, separate from the official copy to be sent to UAPC. You can use the student copy to obtain an official translation, to be sent to UAPC.

Graduate Admission

CUNY offers master’s, doctoral, and professional degree programs. Master’s degree programs are available at eight of our senior colleges: Baruch College, Brooklyn College, The City College, College of Staten Island, Hunter College, John Jay College of Criminal Justice, Lehman College, Queens College and the Graduate School of Journalism. The Graduate School and University Center offers master’s and doctoral degree programs (Ph.D). Students can prepare to become a lawyer at the CUNY School of Law and to become a doctor at the Sophie Davis School of Biomedical Education. To apply for graduate admission, you should contact the Office of Admissions at the institution in which you are interested.

Each college has its own application for graduate admissions and will send it to you upon request. You can find the contact information by linking to the college web pages via the Web site,