Part time HSE Evening Instructor for customized HSE Prep and Health Science
The Adult Basic Skills (ABS) department in the Division of Adult Continuing Education at LaGuardia Community College is seeking a dynamic, hardworking educator who has significant experience teaching adult High School Equivalency (HSE) preparation courses and familiarity with the New York State –approved Test Assessing Secondary Completion (TASC).
The position is for off-campus classes to be held on either Monday and Wednesday evenings or Tuesday and Thursday evenings or both, starting March 13 through November 14; each session is 3 hours–5:30-8:30 pm. The position pays $50 per hour, 6 hours per week for each class. Applicants can apply for one class or for both. The classes will be held in one of New York City’s hospitals.
The instructor will be responsible for a class of 15-20 adults, incumbent employees at one of the city’s hospitals and must be comfortable with learner-centered, participatory lessons and a project-based approach. Candidates must have demonstrated experience with developing theme-based and interdisciplinary adult education curricula, designing student-centered classroom environments, and utilizing a variety of assessment methods. The instructor will be responsible for creating her/his own contextualized curriculum and lesson plans related to nutrition and health science, in conjunction with ABS’s Teacher Coordinator.
Essential Duties include:
- Provide high quality instruction in all HSE subject areas in a learner-centered classroom.
- Develop meaningful contextualized curricula and stimulating lesson plans based on student needs to cover all subjects on TASC
- Conduct mid-term and end-of-term conferences to assess and share progress with students.
- Collaborate with ABS’s Teacher Coordinator
- Communicate and report progress of students to Director
- Develop an education plan for each student
- Administer pre-test, readiness test and post-test for HSE Prep course
- Track attendance
Minimum Requirements: Bachelor of Arts/Science degree, plus at least three (3) years adult education and/or non-traditional teaching experience, along with relevant adult education professional development required. Must be able to work independently in off-site location. Knowledge of nutrition or health science a plus.
Please send cover letter and resume with subject—Instructor off-campus to email@example.com.
Substitute ESOL Teacher
Lehman College Adult Learning Center needs a substitute teacher for the months of February and March for these Level 2 ESOL classes and dates:
MORNING CLASS: Monday, Thursday, and Friday from 9:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. starting on Thursday, February 16 OR Monday, February 27.
EVENING CLASS: Mondays and Wednesdays from 6 – 9 p.m. starting on Wednesday, February 15 OR Monday, February 27.
The expected end date would before or on the week of April 3. Please contact Diane Reynolds at firstname.lastname@example.org
New York City College of Technology Division of Continuing Education
Schedule: Tu/Th, 6-9 PM and Saturday, 9 AM – 3 PM
Under the supervision of the Director of Education Programs, the counselor will provide support to ESOL and HSE students enrolled in evening and Saturday Adult Learning Center programs.
- Provide personal counseling, make appropriate referrals, maintain written and electronic records
- Monitor attendance and proactively meet with students to limit absences
- Provide academic advisement as students progress through program and plan for further education and training
- Work closely with instructors in support of students
- Plan and coordinate student workshops
- Assist with registration, testing and orientation of new students
- Must be able to work evening and Saturday hours
- BA in counseling or related field; MA preferred
- At least two years counseling experience, preferably in grant-funded literacy programs
- Able to work with a database for basic data entry and information retrieval
- Excellent interpersonal, writing and oral communication skills
- Well organized and discreet in dealing with student issues
- Ability to manage multiple tasks, be resourceful, and work as part of a team
- Best Plus certified or available for training
- Must be able to start immediately
Salary range: $31-$34 / hour, depending on experience and qualifications
This is a Research Foundation grant funded position. Please send cover letter and resume to Gil Gerena, Director of Education Programs at email@example.com
Administrative Coordinator (full-time)
LaGuardia Community College Adult Basic Skills Department
LaGuardia Community College’s Adult Basic Skills department in the Division of Adult and Continuing Education is seeking an Administrative Coordinator for its non-credit High School Equivalency (HSE) and Adult Basic Education (ABE) programs. The Coordinator will work under the supervision of the Director of Adult Basic Skills (ABS) and the Executive Director of Adult Community Learning. The Adult Basic Skills department is a grant-funded and tuition-based, non-credit, high school equivalency preparation program that prepares students to earn a High School Equivalency diploma and to achieve their college and career goals.
Applications are being accepted through RFCuny.org: http://www.rfcuny.org/careers/postings?pvnID=LA-1612-001539
Educational Case Manager (part-time)
The Center for Immigrant Education and Training (CIET)
The primary responsibilities of the position will be:
- Counsel and advise clients on all their career, academic and social service needs
- Summarize student intake forms to assess student needs, coordinate appropriate referrals/events, and incorporate guest speakers for informative workshops
- Conduct college and career workshops for student clients
- Assist students with completing education and employment plans
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in a social work, counseling or a related field; Master’s degree preferred
- Relevant experience in counseling individuals and/or leading workshops
- Strong awareness of the barriers facing immigrants looking to integrate into the US workforce and academic environment
- Some weekday evening hours required (approximately 5-8 pm)
- Seeking a professional individual familiar with strengths-based, culturally competent approaches
This part-time, grant-funded position will be scheduled for approximately 19 hours a week for a 6-month period (i.e., January to June 2017) at an estimated salary of $38.00 an hour.
Please send resume and cover letter to Eliana Panora at firstname.lastname@example.org
Office/Program Support Staff (full-time)
Monday and Wednesday from 12-9, Tuesday, Thursday from 9-5 and Friday from 9-2.
Bronx Community College
The Adult Education and Training Program at BCC is looking for a full-time person to work in the office in various capacities such as substitute teach, BEST test administration and assistance with intake. Candidates with BA in education or counseling, who are Spanish bilingual and computer literate in software/hardware are preferred. The salary is $38,000 per year through the Research Foundation of CUNY.
The position will start November 1st, 2016.
Intermediate Reading & Writing Teacher AM
Tuesday, Friday mornings
Lehman College Adult Learning Center
Lehman is looking for an intermediate level teacher for ELA and other pre-HSE subjects (not including math).
Interested parties should forward their resumes to Brian Rausse, email@example.com.
Upper Level HSE instructor (part-time)
City Tech Adult Learning Center
City Tech is looking for an upper level HSE teacher for ELA and other HSE subjects (not including math).
Interested parties should forward their resumes to Gilberto Gerena, ggerena@CityTech.Cuny.Edu.
Level 3/4 Basic Education instructor (part-time)
York College Learning Center
This teacher should be prepared to teach all five subjects. The rate of pay is $32 per hour.
All interested parties should forward their resumes to Scott Williams, firstname.lastname@example.org.
EL-Civics ESL Teacher (part-time)
York College Learning Center
York is looking to fill one Saturday class in our EL-Civics Program (ESL). The classes run from September 24 – December 17, and resume January 7 – June 17, 2017, from 9am – 3:30pm. There is a mandatory staff meeting on Sat., September 17th, 2016. This position is part-time B (19 hours or less per week) if combined with a RF teacher from another campus. Experience with contextualized instruction is required. BEST Plus certified a plus.
All interested parties should forward their resumes to Linda Ribaudo, email@example.com.
ESOL Teacher (part-time, 2 positions)
3 evenings, 6-9pm
Bronx Community College Division of Continuing Education Workforce Development
We have two evening ESOL teaching positions – a level one class and a level two class. These classes meet three nights a week from 6 – 9 p.m. The salary is $36 an hour.
Teaching at The CUNY Adult Literacy/HSE/ESOL Program
We offer classes in adult learning centers on 14 CUNY campuses. If you would like to list a position at a CUNY adult learning center, please complete the job listing form.
Note: Job listings will be deleted 2 months after posting. Jobs listed here may have been filled.
Job listings in adult education can also be found at the Literacy Assistance Center’s job board.