The City University of New York is pleased to announce The CUNY Immigrant Education Initiative, a new program funded by the New York City Council.
Priorities of the initiative include:
- Increase the number of seats across the city so all 16,000 potentially Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) – eligible New Yorkers can enroll in an appropriate educational program
- Offer more adult education classes in students’ native languages
- Provide adult educators with high-quality professional development
- Do intensive outreach to bring eligible New Yorkers forward and connect them to educational, legal, and social services
To find classes and services near you, visit our Locations page.
Read more about the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) initiative in the news:
- The New York City Council Press Release (July 17, 2013)
- “City to Help Immigrants Seeking Deportation Reprieves” (New York Times, July 17, 2013)
- “NYC Council Allots $18 Million for Adult Education, Illegal Immigrants” (Epoch Times, July 17, 2013)
- “City Earmarks $18 Million for Key Immigrant Education Program” (DNA Info, July 18, 2013)
- “$18 millones para Acción diferida en NYC: Los fondos están destinados a ayudar a ‘dreamers’ a obtener el beneficio migratorio” (El Diario, 18 julio 2013)
- Gobiernos locales en EE.UU. invierten recursos para que jóvenes se inscriban en DACA (Noticias Mundo FOX)