The CUNY Start-ASAP Foster Care Initiative aims to connect students to CUNY Start and/or ASAP to improve persistence and increase their chances of timely graduation at CUNY. The Foster Care Initiative ensures a coordinated pathway to CUNY degree completion and is made possible thanks to the generous support from the Conrad N. Hilton Foundation.
The CUNY Start-ASAP Foster Care Initiative will serve students aged 17-21* who:
- Are currently being served by the New York City foster care system and wish to pursue an associate’s degree at CUNY;
- Have significant remedial needs as determined by the CUNY Assessment Tests (CAT) and would be well served by CUNY Start;
- Have little or no remedial needs based on their CAT scores and are ready to matriculate full time into ASAP.
Program Services & Integrated Supports
Youth in foster care who are part of the CUNY Start-ASAP Foster Care Initiative are eligible for enhanced services and financial support:
- Assistance with the CUNY admissions and financial aid process;
- CUNY application fee waiver, tuition assistance, and other financial supports;
- Academic advisement and college navigation supports;
- Weekly MetroCards to support successful participation in CUNY Start or ASAP;
- Paid, on-campus internships at $11/hour for up to 15 hours a week.
How to Enroll
For More Information
*Students who are working with foster care agencies and between the ages of 21-24 may be considered