Math Start is CUNY Start’s 8-week math intensive that prepares students for success in college by fostering their full math potential. In a social, collaborative learning environment, students access the support they need to increase their understanding of math so that they can meet CUNY’s proficiency standards and thrive as a CUNY college student. In addition, students attend a weekly college success seminar to help them develop their academic identity and learn about careers and campus life.
Your starting point is here.
In just 8-weeks, students will:
- Become ready for credited math courses and college
- Be set on the path to graduation
- Receive two opportunities to meet CUNY’s proficiency standards in math
- Just $35, including materials
- Free MTA MetroCards
- Fast-tracks your learning in just 8-weeks
- Summer, late fall and late spring programming
- Saves tuition and financial aid dollars for credit courses
- Small class sizes with instructor and tutor support
- Fosters understanding through discussion, not memorization
- College, career and campus life advisement
- Pathway to CUNY’s nationally recognized Accelerated Study in Associate Programs (ASAP) to help students graduate on time
How to Apply
- Connect with the CUNY Start/ Math Start program at your campus
- Attend an information session
- Complete the program application online
- Interview with a staff member
- Submit a copy of your high school or high school equivalency diploma and complete any additional campus-specific requirements
- Pay the $35 Math Start student fee
For more information, please contact one of the colleges below:
*Borough of Manhattan Community College
Wall Street Area/Manhattan
*Bronx Community College
University Heights/The Bronx
*College of Staten Island
*Hostos Community College
*Late Fall And Late Spring Sessions Offered.
**MetroCards for students to participate in Bronx Community College and Hostos Community Colleges’ Math Start programs are made possible due to the generous support of The Carroll and Milton Petrie Foundation.