Part of the Young Men’s Initiative, NYC Men Teach is a partnership between the Office of the Mayor, the New York City Department of Education and CUNY which aims to improve the diversity of the NYC teaching workforce by adding 1,000 male teachers of color into the teacher pipeline by 2018. NYC Men Teach at CUNY builds upon our commitment to educate and support students in urban schools, and highlights the importance of deep clinical, culturally-relevant and restorative practice.
CUNY is seeking eligible applicants with a desire to:
- Educate the next generation of leaders
- Engage with classrooms and communities with cultural relevancy
- Empower young people by reflecting their value in the classroom and to the city
In order to be eligible for this program, applicants typically meet the following criteria:
- Currently enrolled CUNY Student who is accepted into, or intends to apply to, a CUNY Teacher Education program
- Interested in becoming a certified teacher in New York State
- Academically qualified with a minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA
- Experience working/volunteering in urban communities
- Committed to working/teaching in a New York City public school
- Have already completed 24 credits toward an associate degree or 45 credits toward a bachelor’s degree, or be currently enrolled in a CUNY graduate teacher education program
Enrolled CUNY students who do not meet the full criteria should still apply, and may be accepted as a “pipeline” student with at least a 2.75 cumulative GPA. Eligible? The deadline for the Spring 2018 application is February 16, 2018.
The CUNY NYC Men Teach program provides academic and financial supports to program participants, with the goal of supporting them through the certification and hiring process so they can enter the NYC teaching workforce as effective urban educators. Program participants may receive monthly metro cards, free certification exam practice tests and other financial incentives, as well as access to a dedicated program counselor who will help with advisement and academic supports. NYC Men Teach participants also convene for a semester-long seminar focused on culturally-responsive education.
CUNY students at all CUNY campuses can access an online application. The Spring 2018 application is open until Feb. 16, 2018! Please remember to complete the application on your computer and not your phone. A complete application includes the following:
- A completed online application form
- An unofficial transcript from your current CUNY College which will be uploaded in the online application.
- Response to two short answer questions. It is strongly suggested that you proofread your responses before submitting it. Ask someone you trust, like a professor or adviser, to help you make your application the best it can be.
Apply by February 16, 2018.
Interested but not eligible in CUNY’s program? You may still be able to participate in NYC Men Teach.
Questions? Email the NYC Men Teach team.
All programs and activities of the NYC Men Teach program are open to all eligible applicants, without regard to race, gender, national origin or other characteristic protected by law.