Fall 2017 Tutor Schedules
Tutors can choose which days of the week they will be working, but they need to keep a consistent schedule throughout the semester. We encourage applicants to consider their potential schedule while planning their classes for the Fall.
Some tutors will choose to work 2 days per week at their schools. Those tutors will be expected to be at their host school
- 8am – 3pm each day
Some tutors will choose to work 3 days per week at their schools. Those tutors will have two choices:
- 8am – noon each day
- noon – 4pm each day
Some tutors will choose to work 4 days per week at their schools. Those tutors will have three choices:
- 8am – 11am each day
- 10:30am – 1:30pm each day
- 1pm – 4pm each day.
The CUNY Tutor Corps in Math and Computer Science brings students from CUNY colleges into middle and high school classrooms, helping them become highly effective tutors and teaching assistants in the mathematics and computer science classrooms of 180 schools by 2020. The Tutor Corps is a partnership between CUNY, the Office of the Mayor, New York City Department of Education (DOE), and others.
CUNY is seeking eligible applicants with a desire to:
- Improve the math and computer science learning of middle and high school students
- Inspire younger students to study STEM by developing mentoring relationships
- Investigate secondary teaching of math or computer science as a viable career option
In order to be eligible for this program, applicants typically meet the following criteria:
- Currently enrolled undergraduate or graduate CUNY Student who is majoring in or intending to study a STEM discipline, particularly math, computer science, technology or math education
- Interested in working/teaching in a New York City public school
- Able to obtain proper work authorization required by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), including DACA, by the start of the program in January
- Academically qualified with a minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA
- Able to adapt to new challenges and communicate dependably and professionally
- Have already completed (or in the process of completing) 12 credits in math, computer science or education
Who We Are:
The CUNY Tutor Corps brings current CUNY students who are studying math, computer science, technology and education into NYC public middle and high schools to provide one-on-one and small group instruction and support classroom teachers. We pay tutors $15 per hour to spend approximately 12 hours per week in math and computer science classrooms. In support of the Algebra for All and Computer Science for All initiatives from the Office of the Mayor, we are looking for college students who want to improve math and computer science education, inspire young people to pursue careers in STEM and investigate public school teaching as a possible career choice. Joining the Tutor Corps is a way for CUNY students to contribute to the city they live in today while shaping the NYC public schools of tomorrow.
The Fall 2018 Tutor Application Is Now Open
CUNY students at all campuses can access our online application HERE. Recommendations should be submitted within a week of the application. Interviews will be set after each application is reviewed. If you are interested in nominating someone you know, please click HERE.
A complete application includes the following:
- A completed online application form
- An unofficial transcript from your current CUNY College which will be uploaded in the online application.
- A recommendation from a professional contact, such as a professor, supervisor, volunteer coordinator or adviser
- Response to three short answer questions. It is strongly suggested that you proofread your responses before submitting it. Ask someone you trust, like a professor or adviser, to help you make your application the best it can be.
The Summer 2018 Tutor Application is Currently Closed
We are excited to present our summer pilot program where we will be partnering with D-75 math and science classrooms in the Bronx. D-75 schools are the segment of the New York City Department of Education dedicated to the service of our students with special needs. Tutor Corps has always strived to reach as many students as possible and we are extremely grateful for the opportunity to help a new demographic of students. Above you will find the application to be part of our summer tutoring cohort. Summer tutors will also be required to attend a mandatory training session from 6/18/18 to 6/22/18. Students in the summer cohort will also be offered the opportunity to take a free credit barring education course this summer at Lehman College.
Fall 2018 Host School Application
We are glad to say that we will be partnering with Algebra For All, Computer Science For All, CUNY Early College Initiative (ECI), and CUNY Affinity Group. Teachers in good standing with any of these programs are eligible to be Host Teachers with CUNY Tutor Corps. Teachers or administrators: to fill out a school application click here! The deadline for the Host School application will be June 2018.
All programs and activities of the CUNY Tutor Corps program are open to all eligible applicants, without regard to race, gender, national origin or other characteristic protected by law.