As a student, you will have to choose the right degree path to help you accomplish your professional and personal goals. The most common graduate degree types are the Master of Art and the Master of Science; however, CUNY offers a wide range of degree types and programs beyond these few. Explore the different types of graduate degrees available at CUNY and let us help you decide which is the best path for you!
A master’s degree is an academic degree awarded upon completion of a course of study demonstrating a mastery of a specific field of study. It typically takes 1-3 years to complete a Master’s Degree. Programs range from 30 credits to 57 credits.
Our master’s degree options are:
- Master of Art (MA)
- Master of Fine Arts (MFA)
- Master of Science (MS)
- Master of Public Administration (MPA)
- Master of Public Health (MPH)
- Master of Education (MSEd)
- Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT)
- Master of Architecture (MArch)
- Master of Urban Planning (MUP)
- Master of Music (MMus)
- Master of Social Work (MSW)
- Master of Engineering (ME)
- Master of Business Administration (MBA)
- Master of Landscape Architecture (MLA)
- Master of Library Science (MLS)
A doctoral degree is the highest academic degree in any field of knowledge. Students typically complete doctoral degrees in 5-7 years. The majority of doctoral degree students hold a master’s degree.
Our doctoral degrees offered are:
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP)
- Doctor of Public Health (DPH)
- Doctor of Nursing Science (DNS)
- Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT)
An advanced certificate (Adv. Cert) is a short program of study in a particular subject. Advanced certificates can enhance skills to further a career, help you to acquire new skills to change careers, and allow you to meet state or national licensing requirements. Advanced certificates are offered in the Arts, Business, Education, Healthcare, and Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) fields.
The different types offered at CUNY are:
- Post-Baccalaureate Certificates (taken in between the bachelor’s and master’s degree)
- Post-Master’s Certificates (taken in between the master’s and doctoral degrees)