A public hearing is on item(s) on the calendar (agenda) for the meetings of the CUNY Civil Service Commission. The rules and procedures for a public hearing are as follows:
- The maximum time permitted for each speaker will be five minutes. It is necessary to impose time limits to permit all speakers to have an opportunity to express their view points. Speakers must restrict their remarks to the items they requested to address. Speakers wishing to speak to more than one item will be given one five (5) minute period within which they must make their comments on all items they wish to address. Persons attempting to discuss other matters or to speak out of turn will be ruled out of order and not permitted to continue. In order to assure maximum participation, the Commission reserves the right, in special circumstances, to reduce the speaker’s time limit.
- The Commissioners will be provided with a list of speakers.
- The Chair of the Commission will conduct the hearing. Either the Chair or the Executive Secretary will call speakers.
- When a speaker is ruled out of order, the speaker’s balance of time will be forfeited and the speaker will be expected to leave the lectern.
- Written statements should be placed in the box next to the lectern or where designated.
- Commission members will not respond to questions during the presentation of a speaker.
- The CUNY Civil Service Commission reserves the right to alter the above procedures at any meeting in order to assure that the business of the meeting will be completed.
- All public hearings on calendar (agenda) items will conclude at the time directed by the Commission Chair.
- Individuals may provide written statements following adjournment of the hearing up to the close of business on the Wednesday after the Commission meeting or as designated by the Commission.
THE RULES AND REGULATIONS FOR MAINTENANCE OF PUBLIC ORDER(HENDERSON RULES) ARE IN EFFECT AND WILL BE ADMINISTERED AND ENFORCED AS REQUIRED.