CUNY subscribes to the Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative’s (CITI) research compliance courses to fulfill CUNY’s educational requirements. Please read the requirements section below to identify the training you are required to complete.
Training in Responsible Conduct of Research (RCR)
All CUNY faculty members, postdoctoral scholars, graduate and undergraduate students involved in research are required to complete the CITI RCR training within six weeks of initiating their research. RCR training certificate will be valid for five years. CUNY researchers are required to take a refresher CITI RCR training course every four years.
Training in the Protection of Human Subjects
All CUNY faculty members, postdoctoral scholars, graduate and undergraduate students involved in human subjects research as key personnel must complete the Basic Course in the protection of human subjects prior to Institutional Review Board (IRB) approval of their protocol. Key personnel are defined as the Principal Investigator, co-investigators and research personnel who interact directly with human subjects or who have access to private information related to human subjects during the course of a research project. Key personnel also include faculty sponsors /advisors who provide direct oversight of research with human subjects or research using private information about human subjects. Certificate of completion of the basic course is valid for three years. Key personnel of human subjects research protocols must complete a refresher course every three years.
Training in the Care and Use of Animals
All CUNY faculty members, postdoctoral scholars, graduate and undergraduate students involved in animal care, use or treatment must complete the CITI training in the care and use of animals prior to Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) approval of their protocol.
Training in Conflict of Interest
All investigators engaging in research related to any Public Health Service (PHS) funded grant or contract, and all CUNY Conflict of Interest Officers are required to complete the CITI training in Conflict of Interest (COI). In addition, a CUNY Conflict of Interest Officer may require individuals to complete this course on a case-by-case basis. Individual training requirements may be based on the nature of an existing conflict; non-compliance with CUNY’s Conflict of Interest Policy; or non-compliance with a Conflict of Interest management plan. COI training certificate will be valid for four years. CUNY researchers are required to re-take the CITI COI training course every four years.
Please follow the steps outlined below to complete your training:
1. Log-in (or register if you are a first-time user) at https://www.citiprogram.org/Default.asp
2. Click on “Add a course or update your learner groups”
3. Select the curriculum which you would like to complete:
- Responsible Conduct of Research
- Human Subjects Protection Basic Course
- Human Subjects Research Refresher Course
- Animal Care and Use
- Conflict of Interest
4. Select the learner group  that best fits your position at CUNY and your role in research. Available options are:
|Responsible Conduct of Research Course||Responsible conduct of Research Refresher Course||Human Subjects Basic Course||Human Subjects Refresher Course||Animal Use and Care Course|
|CUNY Researchers||CUNY Researchers||HSR for Undergraduate Students||HSR for Undergraduate Students||Research Team|
|CUNY Administrators – required for all RIO’s||CUNY Administrators – required for all RIO’s||HSR for Biomedical Faculty, Graduate Students & Postdoctoral Scholars||HSR for Biomedical Faculty, Graduate Students & Postdoctoral Scholars||IACUC Members|
|HSR for Social & Behavioral Faculty, Graduate Students & Postdoctoral Scholars||HSR for Social & Behavioral Faculty, Graduate Students & Postdoctoral Scholars||Administrators & Facility Staff|
|HSR for IRB Members||HSR for IRB Members|
|HSR for HRPP Staff||HSR for HRPP Staff|
5. Complete the required modules
6. Complete any optional modules that may be of interest to you
7. Submit a copy of your completion certificate as follows:
- Submit a copy of your Responsible Conduct of Research training certificate to the Research Integrity Officer (RIO) of your College, and attach it to any grant proposal (internal or external) for which your are a PI or co-PI that is submitted to your grants officer.
- Upload your Human Subjects Protection Basic Course training certificate to your user profile in IDEATE
- Upload your Human Subjects Research Refresher Course training certificate to your user profile in IDEATE
- Submit your Animal Care and Use training certificate to the IACUC Administrator at your College
- Submit a copy of your Conflict of Interest training certificate to the Conflict of Interest Officer of your College, and attach it to any PHS-funded grant proposal or contract that is submitted to your grants officer.